Monday, April 23, 2012

Thrifty 2!

Hey y'all!

Long time no see!

I have another Goodwill trip to share!  You can read about my first one HERE.

So, I had a rare afternoon free yesterday (thank you, dear husband) so when my friend Janis posted on FB that she was heading to the Goodwill OUTLET (woop) I jumped at the chance.  Janis is a hardcore thrifty lady, and I am excited to learn from the Master.  You can read all about her talent on her blog, The Magic That Is...Thrift.

I had no idea until recently that a Goodwill Outlet even existed.  When I heard about it, I admit, I figured it must be ...er....not very good stuff.  Because when I go to Goodwill, I have to REALLY dig to find treasure - wouldn't the Outlet just be the bottom of the barrel stuff that NO ONE wanted?  Boy was I wrong.

 How do things end up in the Outlet?  I have no clue. My best guess is it goes by date, and things get turned over and rolled out as the constant donations keep flowing in.   It was a goldmine I tell ya.  You had to be prepared to dig, everything is just thrown in bins, but, I like a challenge.

I spent a grand total of $23.06 and walked outta there with THIS:
 Whooooo hoooooooooooooo!

Girl clothes, including Hannah Anderson, Gap, Nicole Miller. (I am quite sure many people don't give a crap about designer labels, but I admit it does give me a little thrill when I find an item in great condition at Goodwill that I know went for a hefty price tag new.)  Not pictured: about 20 child sized plastic hangers.  I can never get enough of those.

Boy clothes:

 Mommy clothes - including some 100% wool sweaters I want to use to experiment with felting, and 2 coats that don't fit, but I loved the fabric of.  The Banana Republic one I will either hack up into a purse, or give to a tiny person (size XS). It is a bit faded, but still adorable. I just couldn't NOT take it.  And the charcoal grey Ralph Lauren sweater in mint condition will be shrunk down in my dryer and hopefully converted into some felted purses. 


 Household stuff!  A bag with wooden purse handles! Fate?  And 2 canvas bins I will use in baby girl's room.  I just liked the glasses, I really didn't need 'em.

Books!  Including 2 other hardcover cookbooks that didn't make it into the picture because I couldn't locate them.  I looked EVERYWHERE, er...almost.  My husband had put them on our cookbook shelf.  Of course, that is not where I looked because that is too obvious *ahem*.  Oh, and a big pack of construction paper.

Toys!  The cookie tin is full of crayons.  The spiderman playing cards are a complete set!  The Spiderman laptop is THE find of the day.  When I fished it out of the bin, I wasn't sure I should take it, cause who knows if it would even work?  It it was a gamble, but it paid.  Fresh batteries and it works like charm and my son ADORES IT. Yes!  That metal plate thing is a gingerbread man press, it should have gone in the household photo.  I just thought it was interesting, I'd like to hang it in my kitchen. Missing from this photo: a wooden Melissa and Doug puzzle in mint condition, and a Scramble Squares puzzle new in it's bag, with tags.  I have NO IDEA where they went, but I am guessing they are in my son's room.  This is the problem with trying to take pictures after the fact, little hands walked off with interesting items.  Oh well.

Quilt! A beautiful faded soft full sized patchwork quilt.  We have several of these, most handed down from family.  I love them, we keep them piled here and there - perfect for guests on chilly nights or for kiddos to curl up in.  I will dry clean it and add it to the collection!

And lastly - for the husband.  ONE SHIRT.  That man is hard to shop for in a regular store, he is a little picky, and wears Tall sizes.  I was excited to find him something at GW, but poor guy...ONE shirt?  HA!

So there you have it.  $23.06 and something for everyone in the family.  I am now ADDICTED to the Goodwill Outlet and can't wait to go back.  It will probably only be a special occasion type of trip, because I was there for THREE HOURS pawing through bins, and it is not often I get 3 hours to myself let's be honest.   But, I WILL go back.  Because, duh.  Awesome.

5 comments:

MrsSpock said...

I often get comments at day care about my children being so well dressed (a lot of Gymboree), and how it must be nice. I always say- they're almost always hand-me-downs or from Goodwill. I've gotten the cutest stuff at Goodwill for $1. I'm just sure to wash the bedbugs out ;).

Janis said...

Great job on the haul, love the post and thanks for the shout-out. I will return the favor!

edenland said...

Hello mi'lady *BOWS*

Great job on the thrift! Down here we call them opportunity shops, op shops for short.

Snap.

XXXX

andrea said...

EXCELLENT!
i love goodwill and haven't been there in WAY too long

Jodi said...

Holy Mother, that is quite the haul! I have been to the GW outlet a couple of times but have been overwhelmed by exactly what you said - it takes a long time to dig through those bins! Good for you for taking it on - you got some great finds!